Sunday, September 18, 2011

...is the way we play at Hawthorn.

Old school record stores are a becoming a faded memory. I feel lucky to have been born of a generation that predates cd's - my first piece of music I ever bought with MY OWN money was a 7" picture disc (yes, on vinyl) of Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon/That's The Way" single. I think I was 12 years old. I went on to have a HUMUNGOUS Duran Duran fetish, then got into English indie, and by 17 years of age was a full blown goth kid. It wasn't unusual to have a copy of an artist's album on cd, plus vinyl (coz the art was bigger) and a copy on cassette tape for the car. Well, how things have changed.

But there's still Amoeba Music! Right in Hollywood, on Sunset Boulevard, there's an awesome warehouse of new and used cd's, vinyl, dvd's and a bit of memorabilia in everything from jazz to death metal, goth industrial, country and hip hop. One of my favourite iconic places in LA, I come here to reconnect with music I want to own, or used to own, or do own. It's a fantasy place for music lovers who come from smaller cities, and have never seen this range of titles under one roof. I would love to camp out here over a weekend and just play whatever I want - to have a music slumber party without the slumber. It's a gem, and the staff are unreal too!

...and this isn't half of the store.


Good music is passion inducing just as much as anything else, on a par with a grand final win! Aaaah, yep, a good record, a good glass of wine, after a good day at the footy - heaven on a stick.