December has been BUSY!!! And how could it not be with such good things going on like this regular design show. Highlighting the works of Los Angeles based artists, designers, crafters and foodies galore, there is probably something for everyone here, and perfectly timed to enable a bit of Christmas shopping!
Held at the California Market Center, in a really open warehouse-type space in downtown LA, there are over 300 vendors that make up this market - enough to get you lost for hours here! The organisers are all about exposing local designers, and nurturing a sense of community in this creative city - plus, the show gives you an opportunity to speak to the vendors, and say "nice work!" Here are my highlights:
- Sean Finocchio's photography and design studio 33 stewart avenue creates amazing prints on wood. Often depicting urban scenes and streetscapes, there is also a really strong Californian flavour to his style...think skating and palm trees, but still hearing the traffic of the freeway.
- You like vintage caravans? Check out Silver Trailer for Airstream inspired jewellery - super cute. And have a look her collection of restored trailers for rent.
- Glamour cosmetics from Besame for glamour girls - think Hollywood in the 1940's, and you get the best range of vintage style semi-matte red and pink lipsticks I've seen for ages. This booth was stunningly presented and the product too reflects the care put into this company. Plus they do a really natural mascara that's paraben free.
- For a fine t-shirt I liked Maiden Voyage Clothing and their rather whimsical designs. My favourites were the new "A house divided" images, featuring a cat and dog as noble war generals. But the crow and ship designs also caught my eye - nice coloured shirts too.
- The giggle-inducing work of Emilio Santoyo totally won me - I had to purchase one of his paintings. Working under the moniker Emilio's Pocket, he illustrates with a lot of humour and whimsey and creates characters that suck you into their imagined world.
- Owls and cupcakes are so hot right now (not necessarily together!), and Rusty at Pnut Jewelry has added a new range to his already awesome collection featuring both of these things. They were on display alongside those famous tattoo lettering rings he makes - so rock!
|Emilio's painting - thankyou!|